This is a Middle Eastern dessert that is very simple to prepare, and almost addictive, in its subtle taste. Made without a crust, it’s a great gluten-free option for dessert. The texture is like pudding.
4 cups milk (I have used 2% or skim, vanilla soy, almond or vanilla soy and plan to try it with hemp milk next time)
1/3 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot starch)
1 tsp vanilla
sugar to taste (I used 4 1/2 – 5 Tbsp)
Sprinkle any or all of these to cover the top (I like them all):
- Combine starch and water in a small cup and stir well.
- Add milk to a soup pan or dutch oven pot.
- Stir in starch mixture in milk before it gets warm.
- Add in vanilla and sugar.
- You MUST stir constantly until it becomes thick and comes to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes, while continuing to stir.
- Top with cinnamon, coconut and/or chopped pistachios.
It’s traditionally eaten hot, but it can be eaten cold, too, after it is firm.
Enjoy! If anyone tries it with hemp milk, please let me know how it works.